Project 1: Jerusalem Elementary and Junior High School
Founded in 1982, Jerusalem Elementary and Junior High School is located in the heart of the Bushrod community in Monrovia, Liberia. The school currently serves over 325 students from more than 12 of Liberia’s poorest communities and is in urgent need of repair. Due the hot, dry climate, the wood on the desks have cracks with exposed nails and are falling apart. The roofs of the classrooms have caved in, so during raining season the classes have to be moved or cancelled. The blackboards are torn, and there are no bathrooms for teachers or students to use.
Located in one of the most poverty-stricken communities in Liberia, with a high level of illiteracy, the community has rallied around the school and is dedicated to its development and the students and teacher are optimist about the future. Dipite the lack of educational tools and resources, the Jerusalem students strong test scores demonstrate the school’s commitment to education. Project Blackboard is committed providing the school and community with new classrooms, educational resources and tools in which they will be able to be sustain.
• Location: Bushrod Island, Monrovia, Liberia
• Student Population: 329 (# of male students: 137/#of female students: 192)
• Number of teachers: 16
• Grade Levels: Pre K – 9th Grade
• Average Attendance Costs: L$7,707 Liberian Dollars – LD (USA: $100.00 – USD)
• # of Communities Services: 12
• School Year Starts: September
• School Year Ends: June
• Average Teacher Tenure: 5 Years
• Student Teacher Ratio: 1 to 21